Thursday, February 15, 2007

"What about a week in New Orleans?" by Joan Seymour


I was one of the team who didn't go gutting houses, but instead went out with the Mobile Respite Unit and made meals at the Dragon Cafe. I came away with the feeling that while people were grateful for the items we handed out, they needed to be able to express to us how they were feeling and tell us their story. Usually the person would thank us for coming from New York and then tell us what had been their experience. I think we helped them to feel that they were not totally abandoned and someone, somewhere cared about their situation. I was particularly struck by one person who had been given a trailer but it was still not hooked up to power and sewage, after three months.

Our chef at the Dragon Cafe was very glad to have our help also - he was very much appreciated by those who came for the dinner. There seemed to be many "regulars".

The entire experience made me wonder how I would respond in that situation - I am not sure that I would have been able to go back and see all my possessions destroyed. Both caregivers and recipients are totally burnt out and need some way of dealing with that stress. So any of you counselors out there?? What about a week in New Orleans?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Joan for coming to my hometown and sharing your heart and your hands with us all. Both are needed desparately. You can't imagine the governmental water torture the people have faced in the last 18 months. Read this article, to get a small look into their lives.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17156175/
And that is just the SBA. FEMA has many similar stories. It is as if the government has done everything in its power to kill New Orleans. It is killing its own citizens through stress. I look at the obits in the Times Picayune and wonder which people died from stress. I don't know one person with any association to the city that has not suffered some sort of mental setback. Do you know what has given us hope since the storm? Two things - the miracle of the Saints season amd the volunteers. Is this what is to be expected of the richest most powerful country in the world? My heart cries. When did this country go so wrong?

Unknown said...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Wt0sBYFyxn4